Thursday, August 18, 2011

10 years ago, I got married.

We've been together for 13 years and married for 10 of those. Time sure flies. Because it's 10, I felt like making a big deal out of it. Because it ends in a "0." Isn't that how it works?

We normally don't do much for anniversaries. We'll wake up and say "Happy Anniversary" to each other and then make sure we have a nice meal that day. We don't exchange gifts or even give cards. There were a few instances when we went on fancy dinners but all that was before Tristan arrived anyway.

Since this year was the big 1-0, we did a little more. I woke up to find a card for me at my computer. I was shocked! Jean-Louis had not given me a card for years. We did electronic cards for awhile and then even gave that up. Generally cards don't mean that much to us and is just a waste of money. We both agree. If you must give a card though, pick one out from the store. This at least suggests you put some time and thought into it! Because I didn't expect a thing from Jean-Louis, I was thrilled to get a card:) Inside of the card said the following:

"You're not only a great wife, you're my very best friend! Happy Anniversary"

My gift or surprise for Jean-Louis came in the form of dessert. Surprise? :) I had a couple of weeks to think about it but since my first plan to create us a photo book didn't go as planned, dessert seemed the way to go. I even went on Amazon the week before out of desperation browsing tins and aluminum, hoping some magical gift idea would appear. Honestly tin and aluminum for your 10th anniversary!???! Who comes up with these things?

In the end I came up with the following. He was instead surprised:)
Devil's food layer cake & lemon sugar cookies
I had to keep Tristan busy while I decorated :)
Unfortunately, Jean-Louis came home too early that day and caught me in the middle of creating it. The kitchen was a mess and I was a mess but he was still happily surprised. It was funny really. In case you were wondering about the presentation, I was in fact using aluminum mini bread tins to display the cookies. These were bought from Amazon and delivered just 30 minutes before Jean-Louis came home!! As silly as giving aluminum may sound, I was still able to incorporate it into the gift :)
 
 
That night we went out for dinner. Mainly because I spent a good part of the day baking and dining out is a bit of a luxury for us since we seldom do it.  It turned out to be a great day. After we got home, we all had dessert around 8:30PM, including Tristan. He ended up sleeping at around 10PM instead of the usual 9PM. Here's to 10 fabulous years of marriage together! We're not as lovey dovey as we were back then but I think we're in a much much better place now :)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails