Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tristan is finally talking (sort of)!

At 18 months, Tristan can finally refer to each of us by "mama" or "dada" or "papa." He points to us and he calls us quite often :) Last month, when we were at our Mother's day brunch on Grouse, Jean-Louis mentioned that when I left my seat to get more food, Tristan was calling "mama" after me. I still thought it was random back then since he was never consistent enough to show that he really understood what "mama" was.

I have heard of other babies who started talking earlier than Tristan and the Babycenter newsletters I receive gives me the impression that Tristan is a little late at talking compared to many other babies. I have also heard of late talkers, including Albert Einstein who didn't speak until he was 3 years old. I was never too worried about when Tristan was going to talk because we sign with him and I knew he would be a bit late since we speak two, sometimes three languages to him. Right now, as far as I can tell, he can only say a few words in English. I am not paying attention to the French side and Jean-Louis can't recall any time Tristan spoke French with him. That makes sense since I speak to Tristan mostly in English and so does daycare.

Here is what he can say with full comprehension (however, the pronunciation is not perfect):
  • mama
  • dada (or papa)
  • hi
  • bye
  • ball
  • squirrel
  • over there
  • done

At the moment, these words are questionable:
  • fish
  • downstairs
  • door
  • what's that?

1 comments:

harriet glynn said...

I love how detailed your posts are. I need to take better notes. I've heard most boys are late talkers, then again, maybe you have the next Einstein on your hands. LOL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails